Friday 15 April 2011

Chocolate, Guinness and Caribbean Memories

In the busy hectic madness of the last couple of weeks, I totally forgot to post about two amazing new cakes I tried! How dare I. I mean really, how can anyone forget about CAKE, least of all me!? Apologies all round.

Now, down to cake business. The first cake I have to simply rave about is from Cake Days (new book from The Hummingbird Bakery). 


Chocolate Guinness Cake

This cake is pretty amazing! I don't like Guinness but this didn't deter me and to be honest, the cake doesn't really taste of Guinness but it does have an amazing texture which I think can only be attributed to the black stuff. It has a similar texture and taste to a chocolate devil's food cake. And let's just say, it only took two days to scoff it all (it was a large cake)!! The cream cheese icing really makes the cake. It is definately a great combination and would be a good 'manly' cake for any guys who don't like munching on a 'girlie cupcake'. The fact that I put this particular cake on a really pink and flowery vintage Royal Albert cake plate probably makes it a bit feminine, but hey ho!




The second cake I want to gush about is not techincally a cake but a pie... 

Key Lime Pie

I lived in the Caribbean for a short while when I was a kid and for some reason one of the lasting food memories from this time is scoffing numerous key lime pies! I have hankered after one of these yummies for a long time and so for Mother's Day, I decided to make one for my Mum who also loved these.

I used the recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and instead of using whipped cream for the top I used Italian style meringue. And what can I say? When I dished it up, the whole table was silent for at least 5 minutes! This is a rareity in my family. It was so amazing we even had seconds! 



I urge you to try this pie. I just cannot do it justice by trying describing what it is like, you'll simply have to make one and see for yourself!




More cakes in the making in the coming weeks and if I manage to take some pics before they get scoffed, I'll share them! And, I have something really cute in mind for my Royal Wedding Tea Party so watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, leave me a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...